Here are 10 great tips to use when creating a press release. By using these tips you will be able to create releases that are more effective for your business.
1. Choose Your Topic Carefully– This is not an advertisement. Make sure that you choose a topic that can actually be considered news. Make sure that it is interesting so that people will read it rather than disregarding it.
2. Catch the Readers Attention- The most effective releases draw the reader in right from the start. Write an interesting first paragraph so that the reader will want to know more.
3. Formatting is Important– Tell the news first and then get down to talking about yourself or your business. Don’t start off talking about your business or you will find that no one keeps reading.
4. Make it Applicable– Readers are looking for information that applies to them. Make sure that this is the case with your press release. Ask yourself, “Does this relate to me?” If it doesn’t, it is time for a revision.
5. Correct Grammar and Spelling- This document represents your company. Use spell check and be sure to proof read your release. Your company will seem like a joke if you don’t take the time to proofread first.
6. Write in a Simple Style– Write to the regular person. Make sure that your release will be understood by a regular person. Avoid using complex vocabulary and unfamiliar terms. If you are in a specific industry avoid using jargon and write so that even a layman will understand what you are saying.
7. Stick to the Facts– News is factual. If you are selling items at 10% off, make sure that you don’t say that they are nearly half off. Honesty goes a long way in building clientele.
8. Provide Contact Info– If you write a great press release and then forget to include your company contact info, it won’t do any good. Provide as much information as possible including company name, phone number, email and physical address.
9. Short and Simple– Keep it short. Generally 300-350 words is sufficient. At the most your press release should be under 500 words in length. No one wants to read a multiple pages.
10. Read the Formatting Guidelines– There are specific formatting guidelines that you will need to follow. These vary based on which distribution service you choose. Before writing your press release, read the guidelines carefully and then follow them. If you use the wrong format, your release might not even be accepted.
Take time when creating a press release for the best results. Optimally you want your release to be selected by a media outlet which will get the news out even more. This is a great way to let others know about your company and what you have to offer.
Jason Kay recommends comparing press release distribution services by reading PRWeb reviews and the other top companies to find the best one for your needs.