Knowledge of Project Specifics
One essential question to ask when tapping non-project managers to handle your projects is the depth of knowledge they have on certain projects. Since we are living in the “internet age”, almost everyone has the skills necessary to at least operate a computer. However, one needs to clearly assess level of knowledge as to whether it is merely user-level or is suited to the project’s specific needs.
Aside from technical skills, one also needs to look closely into each person’s ability to manage themselves and attain a high productivity level with a minimum of supervision.
Benefits of a Virtual Team
It is undeniable how most industries today have benefited from the use of high speed communication. To leverage this technology-driven opportunity, many companies have engaged GDTs or Globally Dispersed Teams. By formulating virtual teams, people now have managed to exceed organizational, space, and time boundaries in their efforts toward productivity. Although members of the team might work remotely, they all share the same working principles. These principles also serve as their guideline and driving force in achieving standards set by the organization. On top of that, they are also held accountable for any mishaps encountered in work.
Benefits of Virtual Teams
Here are some benefits of virtual teams:
1. Since your choice of workers are not limited to one location, you have more access to qualified individuals.
2. Increased productivity since work schedule is not limited to the regular working hours.
3. Increased market reach.
4. Reduction of costs because there is no need to setup and maintain a physical office.
Tips for Effective Outsourcing
Outsourcing has been a recent topic due to the fact that it offers its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It all boils down in how you manage your team to save time and increase productivity.
1. Delegate time consuming tasks to your virtual team so it leaves more time for you to focus on long-term tasks that will build up your entire project. While your virtual staff work on your more mundanetasks, you are left to formulate ways to focus on bringing about the desired results.
2. Provide specific and clear instructions to your staff. Ensuring that they understand exactly what you want them to achieve will save you time and enable you to get more things done in the same period of time.
3. Before you hire staffs, always ask them for samples of their own work. This will enable you to have a tangible area to evaluate, as to whether they’d be able to deliver the quality of work you are asking of them.
How Can Non-Project Managers Be Effective?
Due to the demands in the projectized world, people who are part of outsourcing companies or virtual teams must possess a certain level of knowledge to be effective. There are quite a few important concepts that must be given much attention.
1. One must always set their mind about the beginning and end of each project. Therefore, one must be constantly aware of how much time must be appropriated in completing certain tasks.
2. Clearly identify what is a product plan against project plan.
3. In undertaking a project, one must bear in mind to keep it within the standards being implemented by the given organization sponsoring the project.
4. Acknowledge that each project is implemented according to a predetermined time, money, and resources. Realize that project within the limitations set by the organization in fulfilling that project.
5. Learn to value the stakeholder.
Choosing An Online Project Management Team
With the influx of online project management teams, it has enabled both online businesses and members of a virtual team to bloom. There are certain variations entailed such as training, accessibility, costs (initial and ongoing), and productivity level.
In thinking of starting an online project management team, here are some factors that will help in thedecisions:
1. Size of team
2. Technical prowess and knowledge of members
3. Individual location of team members
4. Operational tools
5. Identifying needs and fulfilling them
6. Tools or features that will facilitate communication and productivity amongst members
7. Tracking and optimizing tools and activities