Top 10 Reasons You Need a Coach “Everybody needs a coach. Every famous athlete, every famous performer has somebody who is coach – somebody who can say ‘Is that what you really meant?’ and give them perspective. The one thing people are not really good at is seeing themselves as others see them. A coach really, really helps.” – Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google
As a very successful CEO, why would someone like Eric Schmidt suggest that he needs a coach and so do you? I see executives every day who make incredible strides forward toward their goals with the help of an executive coach. Their work is inspiring, and I am honored to be part of it. But some of you may still wonder what a coach could do for you and why you should invest in an external coach for yourself.
Thinking about the key reasons that have power for supporting your success and growth, the Top 10 reasons for hiring an external executive coach are:
- Your coach is there for you, your agenda, your goals. Your coach cares about your success, as you define it.
- Your coach helps you get clarity around your goals, get inspired by them and what they mean for you, and maintain focus in your busy world.
- Your coach looks for your blind spots and helps you see the impact you have from a new perspective and see new alternatives to move you forward.
- Your coach is a source of ideas, knowledge, tools, cutting-edge thought, and a broad body of experience and perspective that helps you recognize challenges early, and discover new and creative solutions.
- Your coach helps you grow as a leader by developing your awareness, your thinking, your knowledge base and your vision for what is possible.
- Your coach will not judge you for what you say or do. You can be perfectly honest about your fears, doubts and concerns and your weak moments without repercussion. You can truly get out your feelings, worries and challenges and address them with your coach in a confidential manner. Your conversations are private so that you can tackle any situation – even those you don’t feel you can share with anyone else.
- Your coach supports you in being accountable for taking action on your biggest priorities. When you take on a new habit, behavior, style of communicating or other change to your ingrained habits, your coach is your partner for making new habits stick and addressing obstacles as they arise.
- Your coach provides disciplined self-reflection on what you are doing and where you are going. You have structured time to take the larger view on your career, your business, your progress toward your big picture goals – and that is what will truly allow you to grow as a leader.
- Your coach is your objective external sounding board to help you try out new thoughts, behaviors and ideas in a safe environment and giving you feedback on what is moving you forward and what appears to be holding you back.
- Your coach is a witness to your success and encourages the discipline of measuring your progress and celebrating your achievements, and building confidence and accountability for your actions and decisions that move you forward in achieving your goals.
What could you achieve this year with a coach?
Laura L. Huckabee-Jennings, founder of Transcend Leadership Coaching, http://www.transcendllc.biz, has been serving entrepreneurs and executives in growing companies to improve their leadership skills to grow their businesses and team since 2002.